I have been in a festive mood the last few days – firstly it’s Dassain (Dassain = Food + MORE Food) AND it was the long weekend here in Sydney AND I had an extra day off. Double Bonanza! So, of course I had to try out something in the kitchen.
This time my food adventures got me making a Nepalese favourite – Chicken Choella. If you were to eat this in Nepal, I am sure it is prepared in more elaborate way and you will most certainly get a more spicier plate, but then who’s got the time for elaborate cooking, right? So, I do the best I can. I especially like this my modified version of the Choella recipe because its easy. I mean it. It IS easy. (I am sort of a lazy cook and go for anything shortcut and with less effort).
- 800gms of chicken thigh fillet
- 1 big bunch of shallots – but it depends on whether or not you like raw shallots.
- 3 fresh red chillies – go crazy. add more if you like.
- 4 tablespoons of mustard oil
- 3 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, chilli powder – for the final bit of a spicy kick!
I like to leave it for a couple of hours before serving. Best served cold – room temperature, but not chilled. I usually serve this as an entree has always been a crowd pleaser. It goes well with something tangy – to cool off the heat 😉 And best of all it takes just a few minutes to put together – just my style.